Tue. Oct 15th, 2019

Gem Newz

Your News Buddy

US calls for an immediate halt to Libya fighting

2 min read
US calls for an immediate halt to Libya fighting

The United States has called for an immediate halt to the military operations in Libya as the Khalifa Haftar headed Libyan National Army (LNA) advanced on the capital, Tripoli.

The secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday said in a statement that Washington was “deeply concerned about fighting near Tripoli” and urged for talks to end the fighting.

He said that this unilateral military campaign against Tripoli is putting civilians in danger and undermining prospects of a better future for all Libyans.

He added that all sides had a responsibility to urgently de-escalate the situation and that there was no military solution to the Libya conflict. He suggested that the sides should return to negotiations.

Pompeo said that they have made it clear that they oppose the military offensive by Khalifa Haftar’s forces and urge for an immediate halt to these military operations against the Libyan capital.

The Health Ministry of the UN-backed Libyan Govenment of National Accord (GNA) said on Sunday that at least 11 people were killed and 23 wounded in clashes in southern Tripoli.

Since Haftar launched his offensive four days ago, at least 35 people, including civilians have been killed on both sides.

Tripoli which is situated in northwestern Libya is controlled by the GNA while the LNA is allied to a parallel administration which is based in the east of the oil-rich country, which splintered into a patchwork of competing power bases fafter the overthrow of former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

On Sunday, the US military said that it had temporarily pulled some of its forces out of Libya due to the upsurge in fighting in the North African country.

It said in its statement that due to the increased unrest in Libya, a contingent of US forces supporting US Africa Command has temporarily been relocated from the country in response to security conditions on the ground.

However the details of how many military personnel had been withdrawn from Libya have not yet been disclosed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *